52

This is a hypothetical application design for graphics design class.

How my work aligns with the concepts I've read about through this module: I used lots of balance and symmetry to keep my design not too aesthetically annoying, just enough asymmetry to make it a little more interesting, vibrant colors to make it exciting and I tried to copy the how-to video as close as I could since I had zero creative inspiration that would somehow exactly parallel the lecture, then when I saw I needed a third layout I just added some photos, flames, lightning, moved stuff around, changed the icons a little, and tried to make it all match together and delete what didn't fit anymore. I used a grid and did everything almost exactly like in the lecture, just got a little more creative with the last one. I think superposition is feature in several places for mine especially in the third one I couldn't decide what was better so I tried to show everything simultaneously with transparency. I think I was able to break a traditional theme in the last layout especially with all the superposition. I think there is a visual journey featured and perhaps some size hierarchy too. The icons we learned in lecture use recognition rather than recall. The visual journey of the third one goes around the photo sort of and for the others I guess sort of down the middle mostly.

With regard to facial recognition technology, I said in class: Some things can wind up doing more harm than good, and facial recognition technology is high on the list for that being a distinct possibility. I mean it's neat and everything, I am a programmer, after all I'd probably have worked on it too, had the opportunity presented itself. But then when you take a step back and realize, AI is going to be able to know way too much - if you think about it, facial recognition is going to turn into emotional recognition and that's going to turn into lie detection and who knows maybe even thought prediction. What does it mean when we wrinkle the 8th muscle in our left eyebrow? AI will be able to tell us soon enough!

And with regard to general education not preparing us sufficiently for deciding our careers: At that age, all I knew was that I liked science, so I wanted to be a scientist. You know, like with the white lab coat, and the giant rack of chemistry equipment, with the bubbling green mystery acid, like in cartoons? That mentality gave me little focus toward any real career. Only because of personal reflection on what I was really, actually doing with my time, did I finally decide my chosen career. Luckily someone told me at some point to make sure to keep up on my math homework, and that has paid off. Useful side note: Of all the math classes I ever took, my favorite advice out of all of them is to begin by drawing a picture, in order to figure out how to solve any problem.

So far I've knocked out 17.75 of 25 hrs volunteering. We're writing a paper on how inferior technology keeps impoverished communities impoverished and I'm discovering Apple has planted itself as the supposed savior of the world while providing literally intentionally inferior products that don't adhere to the actual emerging paradigm of technology. Yes, that's right, I'm discovering Apple is providing products to technologically weak areas with Apple products designed to keep these areas tied to Apple products, rather than actually helping them join the world in this technological revolution. Apple wants everyone using Apple products, only. That isn't playing fair or being a team player. Apple needs to knock it off with the battery lockouts, the hardware hacks that keep their hardware from being compatible, the mysterious 4x price hike, using highly proprietary software and literally taking from the world what is good. I could expound. A lot.

Yes, I could definitely keep writing about that, and they aren't the only villain right now! I'm going through my graphics homework, per the instructions, which require Adobe's touted software, Photoshop and Illustrator (which have free open source counterparts called The Gimp and Inkscape, as well as OpenShot for video editing, and Scribus for page layout (Pagemaker)). Adobe Software which we are required for this class requires Microsoft Windows 10, near as I know (Normally I can install Windows software on linux but this has a unique installer so I didn't even try - I could be wrong maybe it does go on Linux but my hunch is that it's locked out, so I didn't actually try this time. I see Ubuntu does have 'how to install Illustrator' instructions but I doubt it - I just doubt it. I could be wrong, maybe I should try. Anyways I'm kind of assuming these Adobe products require Microsoft software as an OS, and technically that is an assumption here, because I never did actually try to install these on Mint...). Anyways so I put my Photoshop and Illustrator on the Windows 10 that came with this laptop I got for school - which decided while I was working that I shouldn't be working, and instead that it should be 'restarting' to perform 'important updates.' Ok, Microsoft. I know what the English words important and updates mean. But guess what - that is a lie, by definition, your operating system is literally lying to my face trying to take over control of my compter while I'm working. Right while I'm working on exactly what is the most important thing for my computer to be doing. I could definitely write about this - all day - and my retort is that got my homework finished REAL QUICK, then the computer demanded AGAIN which got it having it's power button pressed for five seconds straight to shut it straight off and then Linux Mint boot flash put in the side of it and then the power button pressed again so Mint would boot so I could keep using it without further (extremely rude) interruption on my actual work. Thank you Mint, shame on you Microsoft, and shame on you Apple.

While I'm complaining about big tech I might as well throw in my two cents on Google and Facebook. Facebook incessantly changes the supposed public login interface so if you have a game up it's really hard to keep up with how it's supposed to be connecting to Facebook. They have the right to do that, it just makes difficult what they supposedly provide to be easy. So I guess that's a minor complaint. Current political complaints are the facebook algorithm not showing people what you'd necessarily expect, but that's facebooks right. They can make it do whatever they want, it's their program. That's what free speech is, being able to make your program do what you want, and not have the government come in and tell you you have to show people what their friends posted that day. So my complaints about facebook are a tiny shadow compared to what I have to say about Apple and Microsoft. Where's MySpace? The CIA took it out and replaced it with facebook since it was more compromised. But that doesn't matter. And as for Google, well they made their maps go from being capable of 26 sequential addresses to only 10. They seem bad considering all the pushes toward cloud, Google Drive, etc. but Microsoft is the one that literally nearly tricks you into uploading to 'the cloud' and honestly other than the 26 addresses on the map thing they took away, they seem to provide a lot for us. No huge complaints other than that, so, way to go, Google, and Facebook, but not Microsoft, or Apple... Oh, Chromebooks. Google gives them to schools too, like Apple gives away tablets, right? But Chromebooks don't try and lock you in to using Google, in the future, am I wrong?

And of course - maybe - shame on you Adobe, if it turns out I'm right that these softwares require Microsoft. Again, I didn't check, because of their 'special installer' which is nearly always a red flag for trying to install something on Linux.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Module 2 Learning Journal 1-19-21

Service Learning Journal 56, Friday week 8 CST-462s Race,gender, Class in the Digital World

Arlon's CSUMB Intro to HTML CSS JavaScript Node PHP and Web Programming CST-336 Modules 8 Learning Journal #8/#48 for the week Wed 12/15-Tues 12/21, year 2021