Journal 55 - Week 7 February 22, 2022 22:22 (02-22-2022 22:22)

graphic-hypothetical-mobile-sbr-orange

https://xd.adobe.com/view/4ad0b61e-b96a-45be-b2d7-d89835d877a1-1f83
https://xd.adobe.com/view/4ad0b61e-b96a-45be-b2d7-d89835d877a1-1f83/

An iterative design is an important step in the UI design process because we aren't designing for ourselves we're designing for our clients and english verbiage isn't enough to communicate a full design without building a visual version that can be examined visually so it can be thought through more specifically for an optimally polished end product solution the client can be 100% happy with.

My iterations were to experiment with removing the gradient from the person icon, because of our other class I kept the gradient on the face and changed the hair to various colors, also I lightened up the background behind the black text so you can see it better for better accessibility. For more iterations I changed the colors of the boards and backgrounds and a few of the icons, and moved the icons around, and made some new ones. Iterations and screens

Discussion Questions:

According to Robert Lupton https://drive.google.com/file/d/1YIR6kXeKhu8XmKtImlU6ZPDwlz2UYG6B/view, helping others can actually cause more harm than good, and “we may diminish their self-esteem, their sense of worth, integrity, or even wholeness”. Can you think of any instances in the world where helping others has caused more pain than assistance? Yes, absolutely, and I do agree this is a very real aspect of helping or trying to help. Any time you try and help someone who isn't ready for it or acceptant of the help, you run the risk of just getting in the way, or causing some kind of harm. Example: going to help a handicapped person that doesn't want help for their handicap. Here's another example but that goes more the other direction: your first day at work at a new job. Good luck helping, not getting in the way, and not stepping on people's toes, metaphorically, before you know exactly how to fill your assigned position and all your responsibilities.

Ivan Ilich states https://drive.google.com/file/d/1oDEHwO0XeJPx71sP7Ea41tMxkQaMF4g-/view that it is impossible for Americans to truly serve the majority of people in Latin America because they do not speak their language. This argument could even explain why there is so much conflict in our own country. Do you think that people struggle to understand and respect conflicting ideas and ideals because they cannot relate to groups or individuals that are different from themselves? Perhaps in general, but lots of individual people have enough depth to understand and absorb what he's getting at, and move beyond it, I think. In fact, I personally think I completely understand his viewpoint, this article seems like something I'd write myself, and I think the broader perspective is to maintain a higher awareness that realizes all the aspects of what we are doing, and why we are doing what we are doing.

Going into this course, was your focus on personal benefits, site impacts, or both? After beginning your service and interacting with people at your site, how has your interpretation of potential personal and organizational benefits or drawbacks changed? What observations or experiences have shaped your conclusions? Believe it or not, I actually saw the flip side right away, before we even got started. You think we're going to be able to join in and help them do what they're already doing in 25 hours? So, I knew this, I was aware it could potentially be something bad, or have negative aspects anyway, trying to be something good, and so I personally tried really hard to make sure I was actually helpful, and as helpful as I could be, while I was there. But the flip side to that was that the service organization I worked for was so centered on helping everyone in our community that they are literally giving out food to the community and helping as many people as they can at all times, so there was no room for making them feel bad, or anything negative really like that anyway. So it was a really good match, everyone trying to help as much as possible on all fronts. In fact I personally have been buying computer equipment from them since my dad introduced me to their shop maybe 25 years ago now, probably at least of half my equipment comes from there. Like the Men's Warehouse guy, I'm not only a worker, I'm also a client. And really it was great to finally be able to work there and get to see at least partly behind the scenes how my favorite computer equipment store always has such continually low computer and computer equipment prices for everyone to take advantage of. So, I guess my focus was a little on personal benefit, since it's my favorite shop, and it was a pleasure to get to work there finally, but also mostly it was on making site impact, because I knew the endeavor could potentially backfire, and I really wanted to be a helper and a contributor and not a hindrance or one more thing they had to deal with. Luckily, they're set up for letting people help with them helping, so it really worked out. And if anyone needs affordable refurbished computer equipment, as always, I very highly recommend Grey Bears computer and home electronics store, in Santa Cruz.

Discussion response regarding vague+picky client mentality:
I have come across the seemingly vague+picky mentality before, more than once, and I have a theory about it. My hunch, based on past observation, is there is something going on with financing that is causing this from higher up, something somewhat akin to money laundering. I think what happened, generally speaking, is that a lot of money got dumped into tech, a few decades ago, and the direct recipients need to spin out the money perpetually to be able to keep it churning, to keep getting more from the financiers, to keep skimming off the top. This creates jobs that don't really need to exist, as a money-sink, and is the real reason for perpetual software updates and interface updates that don't need to happen. On a smaller scale, like on an individual site, my guess is this is a combination of miscommunication and filling of financing categories. In other words, financing says to management, who says to marketing: 'Do some marketing, here's the money for it.' Marketing says to volunteers management: 'Have them do social media posts.' But then nobody has any specific needs, really, other than to make sure a volunteer manager gets paid, who has no idea what the marketing is for on a larger scale, so, really, spinning out having someone do social media posts and subsequently that the social media posts aren't quite good enough could actually just be 100% success for them, keeping everyone busy as needed to keep all the cogs turning. I could be wrong, it's just a theory, but I've seen enormous direction changes come from financing that seem to make zero sense - and I don't think financing does things that make zero sense, the decisions just might not be transparent.

Today is 22:22 02/22/2022 February 22, 2022 22:22. School is going well, I finished my 25 volunteer service hours for the course and our paper is pretty much done, but my mom is in the hospital for falling really badly, which is extremely bad, and also extremely bad is my dog is also in the hospital for eating something he shouldn't have, probably, and having kidney troubles, so we took him to the vet, and he's been there a couple days and is improving.

Algorithms part II is the next class and I'm not sure if I said it in the beginning of this class but they're considering letting me fix my game as a final project for CST-499 Capstone.

Good thoughts to my mom and Fang

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Service Learning Journal 56, Friday week 8 CST-462s Race,gender, Class in the Digital World

Arlon's CSUMB Intro to HTML CSS JavaScript Node PHP and Web Programming CST-336 Modules 8 Learning Journal #8/#48 for the week Wed 12/15-Tues 12/21, year 2021

52